UK Government – Energy Bill Discount Scheme: Customer Update

Speak to our energy saving experts,
call us today on 01903 259976

Posted on: 

23 April 2024

Climate Action Project – Solar Power in Morocco

Solar power Morocco
In a world increasingly impacted by climate change, the Ouarzazate solar power station shines as a beacon of hope for a sustainable future. This groundbreaking project not only addresses the urgent need for renewable energy but provides numerous co-benefits, including job creation and enhanced healthcare access. In this article, we'll explore the energy landscape of Morocco, uncovering its pressing challenges and highlighting the significance of initiatives such as the Ouarzazate solar power station.
Morocco: Addressing Energy Challenges

Morocco faces significant challenges in its energy landscape, mainly due to its heavy reliance on fossil fuels. Oil dominates the energy mix, accounting for roughly 57% of total consumption, closely followed by coal at 33%. Additionally, the country depends heavily on energy imports, with approximately 90% of its needs sourced from abroad. This heavy reliance on fossil fuels, and imported energy, highlights the critical need for diversifying towards renewable energy sources to meet the increasing domestic demand.

Utilising Morocco’s abundant natural resources, particularly solar and wind power, offers opportunities to mitigate environmental impact, enhance energy security, and boost economic resilience.

Solar power icon
The Quarzazate Solar Power Station

The Ouarzazate solar power station, is one of the largest concentrated solar projects in the world, using the abundant sunlight of the region to generate clean, renewable energy. Using innovative technology involving thousands of concave mirrors, this project produces a staggering 750 GWh of power annually. Furthermore, with the capability to store solar energy for up to 7 hours, this project extends its benefits far beyond daylight, ensuring reliable power even after the sun sets.

The Ouarzazate project surpasses mere energy generation. Its construction has provided employment opportunities for nearly 7,000 local people, boosting the economy and instilling a sense of ownership in the project. It stands as a prime example of Morocco’s commitment to creating a greener, more sustainable future.

Solar power Morocco
Healthcare and Education Initiatives

Beyond energy and economic benefits, the project prioritises the well-being of the local community. A mobile hospital ensures access to essential healthcare services, while financial contributions support the local medical centre, enhancing the local healthcare infrastructure. Additionally, investments in education, such as the provision of a school minibus, have contributed to reducing school dropout rates, thereby investing in the future of the community.

Taking Action – How you can make a meaningful impact

We encourage our customers, partners, and any other stakeholders to join us on this journey towards a sustainable future. By supporting initiatives such as those in our Climate Action Calendar, together we can make a meaningful impact on the planet.

If you are interested to read more about this solar power project and our other carbon offsetting donations, you can find them on our Ecologi dashboard here:

Here’s our Climate Action Calendar, illustrating our climate action efforts from the past, present, and future.

Climate Action Calendar

Source: EIA International Statistics and Analysis U.S Energy Information Administration

International Trade Administration, Morocco Country Commercial Guide


Related Articles